Eye Contact

• Look at your audience 95% of the time, the other 5% can be
devoted to glancing at your notes
• Having good eye contact with your listeners is important for
3 reasons:
1.) It creates an important bond of communication and rapport
between you and them – “figurative handshake”
2.) Shows your sincerity – In the United States, people tend to
distrust people who won’t look them directly in the eyes
3.) It enables you to get audience feedback. Looking at your
audience makes you instantly aware of any lapses in
communication and understanding
• Looking at your notes too much may tell your audience that
you are nervous or unprepared
• You may write on your note cards in big red letters: “LOOK
• Check with instructor prior to using note cards

University Speaking Center, 22 McIver Building Underground, 256-1346